9/29/2005

Things I learned from Hurricane Rita

When running from a big scary storm there are many things to be learned. I thought I would share a few of those with you today. We spent 6 hours going only 20 miles at one point!

1. After 10 pm only Spanish speakers listen to the radio. I know this because at that time almost all radio stations switched to Spanish.

2. Those 20 mph school zones aren't really that bad, at least your moving.

3. During an evacuation of a major city TxDot guys in pickups watching random cones that block one lane that isn't under construction yet, aren't allow to move them. Yeah this really happened. We moved down to one lane for about 1/2 mile and the other lane was in perfect condition, and yes there was a TxDot guy in his pickup watching the whole thing!

4. I can't see much with my glasses on, I need to update the lenses.

5. Fox news is broadcast on 1170 am near the DFW area in the late night/early morning. We heard the storm come ashore. That was awesome.

6. The RaceTrac gas station at IH35 and US380 has awesome frozen drinks. 2 types of frozen coffee, I lost count of the other Icee type drinks, and a milkshake machine that adds flavor as you pour it into your cup. It's a must stop place for me now.

7. At 3:30 am it is 61 degrees in Hamlin, I dont' think it ever gets that cold here.....it was awesome.

8. 2.5 million evacuees = 2.5 million cars

9. God's grace was poured out upon us and His wrath was not.....only He knows why. If it wasn't for His mercy everyday we'd all be gone.

--Dirk

1 comment:

john-mark said...

So thats funny and sad... very sad