9/16/2005

HMMMMM

It's Dirk again. I'm getting ready to study this evening and thought I would pass along this piece of information to you.

I just recently (today) found out that Saddleback Community Church in sunny California was a SBC church. I read it in the Southern Baptist Texan paper. I found that very interesting because on their website, in their name, and by what they say you would never know. Are they scared to be labeled a Southern Baptist? I think I'll start calling these churches closet baptist.....nah that's not too nice. I just thought that was interesting because I had no clue they did anything with the SBC. Did anyone else know this and NOT tell me? This is information I would have like to have known about. If you know of random information like this little piece please let me know--Dirk

2 comments:

Joe Kennedy said...

there was a lot of hooplah about rick warren saying saddleback was only in the sbc for its missions program, and now that it had one... well, he left the conclusion up to the reader/hearer. then after people got upset, he and his staff made it clear that they were still sbc and were proud of it.

and then there was the pyromarketing conspiracy theory dealing with the purpose driven life (which, in my opinion, was elementary christianity at best, but that's just me) which can be learned about...

here:

http://tallskinnykiwi.typepad.com/tallskinnykiwi/2005/09/the_pryomarketi.html

thelittlefields said...

thanks for the update, Joe. I read a little about what Warren said, but was a little confused. This answered some questions! And I agree that the purpose driven life wasn't that good--Dirk