9/14/2005

Education

I don't know what the deal is lately, but its only the 5th week of school, and I just can't get excited about it. I think that "new" has worn off or something. I guess also, I know that this is not my ultimate goal in life: to teach American history in a state school to students who dont want to be there. Dont get me wrong. I love the students, but I dont see myself making a career of this. Its just the machine of government schools is so...... I dont even know the word. Depraved? Empty? Aimless? Hostile to the things of God?

I was given several books over the summer that really challenged my thinking about education, and what the true goal should be. The fact is, the children of America are receiving their education from people who don't love God or His Word. What, honestly, does that teach them? That there is an area of life where Christ isn't necessary? Is that the lesson we want them to learn?

I know anyone reading this who isnt a fan of homeschooling for any number of reasons ("socialization", evangelizing, being a part of the "world", fear of poor education, etc) is probably wondering what happened to me. I would have been the first to object to homeschooling a year ago, but my eyes have really been opened to a lot of things.

If you think I'm nuts, or have any interest in what I've been rambling about, I would highly recommend you check out these books: When You Rise Up, by R.C. Sproul Jr and Excused Absence by Douglas Wilson.

The shema in Deut. 6 is pretty clear--its clear about a lot of things--that parents are responsible for their children's education: they are the ones to teach them if at all possible. How can I in good conscience let someone else teach my child (someone who may not know Christ) while I teach someone else's child? It just doesnt make sense.

I could go on forever, but its time for me to head off to church. Maybe I'll continue this later...


Peace,
Kathy

1 comment:

Joe Kennedy said...

you might check out "the jesus creed" by scot mcknight. it's all about the shema and Jesus' adaptation of it. it's cool, but i haven't read it all. barely got past the first 20 pages. lots to read, and i'm a.d.d. for sure. ya'll have a good one and know that i'm reading this. even if i'm the only one. =)