9/15/2005

Hello Again

Dirk here with ya. I'll start posting in orange if I remember so that you know it is me.

Ahhh....the blog, a new way to procrastinate from studying. I remember when e-mail was the new fad and then it was high speed internet so we could check that e-mail every 3.252845 minutes instead of studying. I hope that you all read and enjoyed Kathy's rant about the school system. I think now it is my turn.

I do this next section with as much love as possible. Please do not think that I am personally attacking any specific person :) OK, here I go.

I have been less that pleased with the overall quality of speakers that have been in front of us at school chapel. It is very frustrating to hear pastors and laborers of Christ use poor theology and poor Bible teaching when preaching to a bunch of seminary students. I know that I personally would be scared to death to be in front of a bunch of people that are supposed to be the future leadership of many churches. I mean of all people I would think seminary students would be sharp and I would be scared I would slip and say something stupid. Not all, but several of the pastors that have been up in front of us have been less that impressive. For example, at one point one it was said "We blame God for a lot of things He doesn't have any control over!" I am curious what God he is serving? I mean last time I checked the Bible still taught that He is sovereign. More than that I get frustrated when a person speaks on a topic and reads the scripture that he is going to be "teaching" from and then doesn't teach or use that scripture again. I think that it is time for teachers of the Word, pastors, and lay persons to start teaching the Bible and stop abusing it. Christians have gone way too long with finding a topic then trying to find a few verses, that when used out of context, can push an agenda. What we should do is find the scripture that addresses the topic at hand, exegete it, and then obey. It is pretty scary to see some people, who once were in my seat as a student, have been in the church long enough that they stopped teaching scripture. Or worse never learned......yikes.

Ok enough about that. I'm not trying to call any one person out, I just had this revelation the last week or so and have been very frustrated.

Thought for the blog:

Why do Americans "church shop" when they move? What I mean is why are people so comfortable with the different teachings of different denomonations? Do they know the differences? What would you say is the most important attribute for a church (friendly people)? These questions and more are courtesy of my Baptist Heritage class. Feel free to respond, I would love to know your ideas!

No comments: