9/19/2005

Some thoughts about Paul, and the workings of God

For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are prudent in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are distinguished, but we are without honor. To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty, and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated, and are homeless; and we toil, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; when we are slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now. --1 Corinthians 4:9-13

I read these verses last night as I was working on a study of Ephesians. I was in Ephesians 3 and the question was about the sufferings that Paul mentions just breifly in 13 I think. I was so amazed by these verses for several reasons. Paul's not trying to gripe about their situation, it sounds like he's being honest with how he sees things: "For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death" --like he's accepting the reality of his station. PAUL is saying this. One of the most influential men in Christendom. I always imagine Paul walking around with a little invisible halo floating over his head--he's special, the Lord blinded Paul and spoke audibly him, he's always got the right answers--how could he think that the apostles could be last??

I also feel totally like the people he's speaking to. They are prudent, strong, distinguished, fed, clothed and enjoying life--and totally reaping the rewards of the laborers like Paul and his companions. I am not considered a "fool", I'm not without honor...its totally acceptable for me to be Christian--but the reality is that this only happened because Paul endured what he did to bring the gospel to these people.

I'm so convicted reading these verses!! Paul was in the real battle---not sitting on the sidelines like I'm always doing--and it was hard. I guess a lot of us Christians would like to be like Paul, but in reality we dont know what we're saying. "We have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now." I bet it must have been hard to keep going some days, and but for the sake of Christ, there would have been a day he would have quit.

"Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches. Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern?" --2 Corinthians 11:25-29

The way of the real Christian life (not that one I want so desperately to be) is paved with suffering and hardship. Its difficult and full of toil. And as Paul says in Philippians:

"More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death;" (3:8-10)

Do we really want the fellowship of Christ's sufferings? I'm not saying that if we live comfortable lives, free of persecution we arent true Christians, I'm just wondering if we miss out on the rich fellowship of Christ if we stay in our safe environments. But then, is rich fellowship with Christ what some of us wanted when we confessed Christ anyway? I wonder.

These passages made me think about my life, it also reminded me that Paul was human--life wasn't easy for him--and also that he remembered these outward trappings where rubbish compared to Christ--Something I needed to hear.

Makes me want to be a missionary in some remote part of the earth and suffer with Paul in laboring to bring the gospel to those who dont know Him(Christ, that is).

On another note: you should check this out:
http://www.myspace.com/derekwebb and listen to the song called "the Wedding Dress" Oh man, if you arent ashamed of the way you abuse the riches of God's grace, then you weren't listening.

Peace,
Kathy

No comments: