3/12/2007

Spring Break 2007


Dirk is gone to Ecuador for the week with a couple other men from our church to meet a missionary and his family and to build up a relationship with a church there to partner with. I'm really excited about what they will be doing there and I am glad about Dirk being able to go.

Dirk and I have spent time apart before, thats not unusual--I went to Scotland for 11 days and he has gone to Hamlin for a week or so, and we've been apart a few nights here and there too. I don't usually get sad when we part because I know its only for a short time--maybe its because my dad was gone a lot when we were little that goodbyes are ok because they always end.

But this time its different.

It is probably the surge in hormones from being pregnant, but it was REALLY hard to part from him this time. I missed him before he left and I was so weepy the whole day. I know the Lord is with him, I know that the He has planned Dirk's steps and I know nothing will happen to him that the Sovereign Creator hasn't ordained beforehand, but it was still hard. I do not want to go into labor or have any problems without Dirk with me. I can't sleep very well, and I need things to fill up my time. Dirk and I are pretty much inseparable whenever we have vacation time (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, Summer) so its such a bummer to have all this time off without him here. Again, I dont grudge him at all for going to Ecuador, I'm excited about what he's doing and all that he'll get to see and experience, I just miss him.

OK. Enough with the sappy stuff.

What have I been doing?

Saturday night I met up with some students at the movies to see 300. I was so pumped that there was FINALLY a movie about Greek history, I HAD to go see it. Looking back, I'm not sure if I liked it. I don't think thats a good sign. As a history buff and a lover of all things classical(Roman and Greek) there were a few elements missing and many liberties taken. On the other hand, it got several things right and was true to the essence of the story. I was amazed at the art of the blood spatter, and at the same time, I was shocked that NO ONE actually got blood ON them. It was interesting--very much like a video game--or at least I think it was .

Then today, after spending the night, Jenny and I went to see Amazing Grace. In case you dont know, its about William Wilberforce's fight in the British parliament to get the slave trade abolished. It was a great movie, I enjoyed it a lot and it was much more edifying than 300, for sure! I recommend you go see it.

Ok, I have definitely met my quota for going to the movie theaters for the year! I can't believe movie tickets now are NINE DOLLARS! Crazy.

I'll keep you posted on the rest of my exciting week.

Please pray for Dirk, Russ and Eral as they spend the week in Ecuador
Oh! And also pray for safe travel for my parents--they are in Washington D.C. until Thursday. They are even getting to see Robin and Jason!! Lucky ducks. :)

--Kathy

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I had a great time with you today!! Thanks so much for spending time with me this weekend. I began thinking about how both of our lives were about to change and I began to feel sad but happy. It was an odd feeling. I will continue to pray for the team.

Jamie said...

You can come hang out with me and Asher all you want this week--we are a lot of fun :)(Ok--maybe not a lot of fun...maybe mildly entertaining...but still, you are welcome here!)

Robin said...

I'd come over to play if I was in town. Enjoy the rest of your spring break!

You're parents came over for dinner on Monday, and it was really good to see them!

thelittlefields said...

Jenny, I enjoyed it too! YOu are always a joy to hang out with--THAT will never change. :)

Jamie, thanks for letting me come over--Asher is a blast to watch, its fun to see how much he changes (himself and the people around him) :)

Robin--my mom said they had a good time! You are always welcome to play--spring break or not. :)

--Kathy