4/02/2006

What in the world??? Should we study the BIBLE?

I don't have the time to blog as much as I want, so this will be brief. I really like getting in on the discussion of many things in the blog world. I use my study breaks to read other blogs and keep up with current discussions. It has also proven to be a great way to read writing by some of today's most brilliant theologians. Unfortunatly, there have been times when I have been disappointed in some of the things I find on these blogs and on the internet in general. For example on Justin Taylor's blog (he is a great blogger by the way, not a bad one :)) he posted on the trend of pastorial plagiarism in the contemporary church. Justin Taylor linked to Ray Van Neste's blog which led me to find this article on Rick Warren's website for pastors, which was the cause for disappointment, NOT JUSTIN TAYLOR'S BLOG (it is excellent).

I was shocked and speachless (at first) to see that Mr. Sjogren, the author, was advocating the use of other preacher's sermons. So what is the problem you may ask? My first initial shock was the thought of plagiarism. Then as I pondered what was being said my heart was heavy because worse than the use of other's materials was the push for pastors not to study. Pastors, nay Christians, that do not study the Word of God may be the biggest problem we face in contemporary Christianity! I hope that this article by Mr. Sjogren is seen for what it really is, a call for Christians to be lazy and apathetic to the statutes of the Bible! Please read it with caution, if you dare to venture to it.



On a side note, why is there a copywrite at the bottom if Mr. Sjogren says we can use anything of this we want??????



I may try to post on the newest fad at 2nd Baptist Houston next if I can find the time. 85 million for a building seems a bit over the top doesn't it?--Dirk

No comments: